Technologies
Apple Vision Pro vs. Meta Quest 3: Which Should You Buy?
Meta is no longer the biggest name in face computers, but that doesn’t necessarily mean Apple has earned your money yet.
After years of leaks, speculation and wishful thinking on behalf of those who aren’t thrilled about giving Facebook their money, Apple’s first step into the VR/AR world has finally been taken. The Vision Pro headset took center stage at Apple’s WWDC keynote Monday, promising deep integration with the Apple ecosystem and a serious charge into the world of gaming. In an effort to draw focus from this announcement, Meta’s own Mark Zuckerberg took to Instagram a few days ago to tease a new generation of the most popular VR headset currently available, dubbed the Meta Quest 3. The announcement was light on details, but promised two things Meta has become well known for: The Meta Quest 3 will be relatively inexpensive and will be supported by a massive and growing ecosystem.Â
If both of these headsets were sitting side-by-side on a shelf and you could only choose one, which should you buy? Here’s what we know so far, and how to make the best decision for your needs.Â
Hardware

When it comes to face computers, there are three things that matter more than anything. The headset needs to be comfortable to wear for as many different kinds of people as possible; the battery needs to last long enough to actually enjoy your time in the headset; and it needs to have a processor capable of delivering a smooth overall experience.Â
Comfort is by far the most important, and in that regard Meta has a lot more experience and has received a lot more feedback than Apple. Renders of the Quest 3 reveal a three-strap design, where the side straps are responsible for holding the headset on your face while the top strap helps distribute the weight. The top strap is split in the back, which means the headset is able to cradle the back of your head or hold a ponytail for those who need it. The pancake lenses allow for a thinner design than the Quest 2, which Meta debuted in the Quest Pro headset late last year, so we have some idea of how this will fit even without having used it. The same can be said for its controllers. Meta’s controllers are well known for being lightweight and extremely ergonomic, with an array of third-party accessories to increase the illusion of holding a sword or tennis racket when gaming.

Apple says its expertise in creating displays, speakers and wearables come together in the Vision Pro.
Apple may not have years of public hardware feedback under its belt for this particular product, but there are few who would argue Apple’s design team is not up to the job. Apple’s AirPod Max headphones, for example, are heavier than most but manage to be comfortable enough to wear all day. So when Apple revealed its design, which includes an Apple Watch-style crown to control occlusion, Zeiss lens inserts for those with a prescription and a two-sided strap with a wide angled pad in the back to hold your head, it was immediately clear the team has done its homework. A third top strap is available, but as Scott Stein points out in his hands-on, is not included in any of Apple’s demonstrations so far.
The glass front and aluminum frame of Apple’s Vision Pro headset make it possible for the design to be plenty thin, which helps the overall weight. Combine those two, and you’ve got a headset that will likely be pretty comfortable for many. There are no controllers for the Vision Pro. It relies entirely on eye tracking and hand gestures for its interface, but Apple showed it being used with a wireless PS5 controller for gaming.

05:35
Battery life for both headsets is something of an open question. Meta has a history of releasing battery accessories to help the headset last for a few more hours, but the expected life for both the Quest 2 and Quest Pro is two hours, so it’s likely the Quest 3 will hover around the same.
Apple’s Vision Pro headset currently claims two hours of battery life when connected to the tethered battery, and it’s likely there will be battery extenders available either through Apple or third parties. Currently the average VR user spends about an hour in their headsets, but with Meta’s new full-color cameras for AR functionality and Apple’s focus on FaceTime and other nongaming features, it’s likely that number will go up with this generation of headsets.Â
We already know quite a bit about the processors that drive these two headsets. Qualcomm has been working with Meta to deliver increased performance without sacrificing battery life for a couple of years now, and the XR2 Gen2 promises double the performance of the Quest 2.
Apple has a history of outperforming Qualcomm on phones and tablets with chipsets it manufactures only for Apple products, and the Vision Pro will be powered by both a new Apple M2 processor and a new specialized chip Apple calls the R1, with an enormous amount of computing power for all the cameras in the headset. It’s clear the headset will have no trouble competing with the Quest 3 on raw performance. And while having raw power is obviously important in situations like this, the proof will be in the actual use and what developers can get the headset to do.Â
Ecosystem

The Quest 2 has a raft of excellent games, like Moss 2.
There have been a lot of face computers released in the last 10 years, and most of the companies making them have long abandoned those projects. Having the most capable headset isn’t enough. You need to be able to do interesting things with it. It’s important to remember just how small this market is compared to the mobile app stores maintained by Apple and Google. Each of those boast well over a million apps serving an entire planet of connected humans. Meta’s App Store description claims “thousands” of apps are available for its headsets, but the Quest section of Meta’s app store is gearing up to celebrate 500 apps for the Quest 2 later this year. There’s a lot of room for competition here.Â
Meta has been working for years to ensure a healthy assortment of apps and games on its platform, as well as a substantial if potentially ill-advised investment in the metaverse platform Horizon Worlds. A $10 million Creator Fund was announced back in 2021 to help encourage development, and as of this writing a third of the apps in Meta’s app store had made over $1 million. The biggest category of app for the Meta Quest 3 will be games, ranging from action titles like Beat Saber and interactive stories like Moss 2 to horror experiences like The Room VR. Education and exploration have a decent foothold here too, allowing users to explore museums and experience parts of the world they may never be able to see for themselves. When someone picks up a Quest 3, there will be no shortage of answers to the question, “What should I do next?”

A list of apps as they would appear inside of the Apple Vision Pro headset.
Apple showed off some interesting concepts during its WWDC keynote, where it made the case for developers to make their own cool things for the headset. But that doesn’t mean Apple didn’t have plenty to show off out of the box. The big focus for Apple is extending all of the apps you know and love from your phone into the world around you. If you want a large display to watch a show or meditation exercise on, you can.
Apple wants this headset to be able to be used for work with access to Apple apps like Notes, Keynote or Safari so it can replace or complement your monitor. For gamers, you can play around 100 Apple Arcade games with a standard gaming controller like you would on a television with an Apple TV, but Apple doesn’t seem to have much in the way of immersive gaming like you’d see on other headsets.Â
Which should you buy?
It’s impossible to have this conversation without talking about price. Meta’s Quest 3 comes in at $500, which will likely balloon to $600 if you want increased storage and more if you want accessories for improved battery life. And when this headset is available in the fall, it will be filled with tons of things to do and friends to play with, if that’s your thing. And between Zuck’s teaser last week and its release, you can be sure Meta will have a lot to say about what you can do with the passthrough cameras in AR and hand-tracking modes. It’s an impressive upgrade on a headset Stein dubbed the best VR headset for now in his Quest 2 review, and will be available months before the competition.
Apple’s Vision Pro is undoubtedly a unique way to experience the Apple ecosystem as it exists today, and it’s clear there are a lot of different ways to make the experience personal. It has an elegant look and a ton of features to keep you aware of the world around you when it’s needed. There’s no denying this is the most advanced headset to exist so far. But as an AR headset delivering something unique, it’s clear Apple is hoping developers will help pave the way. And with a $3,499 price tag, Apple needs to do a lot between now and when the Vision Pro launches in 2024 to show what makes it special.
Technologies
Trump Maintains US‑Iran Negotiations Continue Amid Tehran’s Denials of Duplicity
President Trump insists that US‑Iran talks are ongoing despite Tehran’s denial of any negotiation plans, while warning that only a deal or total surrender will allow passage through the Strait of Hormuz. Conflicting statements from both sides have heightened uncertainty as the conflict enters its sixth month.
On Monday, President Donald Trump asserted that negotiations between the United States and Iran are still taking place, even after Tehran stated it has no intention of engaging in direct talks with Washington.
In a fiery Truth Social post, Trump labeled Iran’s leaders “unbelievably duplicitous,” claiming they are lying about ongoing peace talks “whether Iran wants to admit it or not.” He repeated his assertion that the United States completely controls the Strait of Hormuz, despite maritime traffic through the crucial route lingering at only a small fraction of pre‑conflict levels.
He wrote, “Nothing reaches Iran unless we allow it, and nothing will pass unless a deal—or total surrender—is achieved.”
Earlier that day, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei told reporters there is no imminent plan for U.S.–Iran negotiations, contradicting Trump’s earlier comment that talks would resume Monday afternoon. Baghaei added that Iran’s only current discussions are with Oman concerning the Strait of Hormuz.
The conflicting statements have heightened uncertainty over the peace‑talk process and the broader conflict, now in its sixth month.
Trump’s assertion about new negotiations came a day after he said on Truth Social that he had agreed to cancel a massive strike against Iran “subject to being able to rapidly make a DEAL.” He said in the same post that Iran and other Middle Eastern countries had asked him to hold off on that attack because “the perimeters of a deal has been agreed to.”
Trump has claimed dozens of times throughout the more‑than‑five‑month‑long war that a deal is at hand. No permanent deal has been signed, and a temporary ceasefire reached in June has fallen apart.
Trump has also repeatedly threatened to launch devastating strikes against Iran before backing off. After the latest example, oil prices on Monday fell and stocks surged.
BMI, a research unit of Fitch Solutions, said in a note Monday that a broader diplomatic understanding on reopening the Strait of Hormuz is still achievable this quarter, while raising the probability of its escalation scenario to 35% from 25%, citing mounting military, diplomatic and economic signs of rising U.S.-Iran tensions.
“Diplomatic progress is likely to be punctuated by periodic military flare-ups, while miscalculation by either side could trigger a renewed escalation,” BMI analysts wrote in a note. The firm said the key issue to watch is the future governance of the strait, as the Iran-Oman talks — potentially backed by Gulf states, China and the U.S. — point to efforts to build a post-conflict shipping framework.
Shipping risks persist even as diplomacy appears to be advancing. The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations Centre said it received a report of an incident 20 nautical miles (23 miles) northeast of Khasab, Oman — at the mouth of the strait — with a tanker’s master reporting an explosion in close proximity to the vessel at about 20:37 UTC Sunday (4:37 pm ET). The vessel and crew were safe and authorities are investigating, UKMTO said, advising ships to transit with caution.
The proposal Trump announced over the weekend calls for the U.S. and Iran to return to negotiations and continue ironing out some of the thorny issues that had derailed diplomatic efforts, according to The Associated Press, citing a regional official involved in the mediation efforts.
The official said the proposal also includes a reopening of the Hormuz Strait and halting attacks across the region, including by Iranian-backed militias in Iraq on the Arab Gulf countries and Jordan.
The U.S., for its part, will end its naval blockade on Iran and allow Tehran to export its oil, the official said, adding that no deal has been reached, although the mediation efforts remained underway.
Trump’s weekend reversal has lowered the temperature after days of escalating attacks across the Gulf. Kuwait said Saturday that Iranian forces launched a wave of drones within its airspace, with its military destroying multiple aircraft after Iran targeted critical infrastructure in the country’s north.
A parallel track with Muscat is also advancing. Iranian diplomats said Tehran was close to reaching a new arrangement with Oman to manage shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, a deal critical to preventing the war from escalating further, according to the Financial Times.
Iranian officials said negotiations over future management of the Hormuz Strait with Oman, which sits on the opposite shore of the waterway, are in their final stages. The agreed shipping route would be different from those used before, according to Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson, Baghaei, adding that the new route was separate from the issue of the strait’s reopening or continued closure.
Technologies
Oil Prices Slide as Trump Halts Planned Iran Strike
Oil prices dropped after Trump cancelled a planned strike on Iran, with WTI down about 5% and Brent near 5% lower. He said the move followed requests from Tehran and regional allies for a pause while a deal shaping the Strait of Hormuz and Iran’s nuclear program is negotiated.
Oil prices fell on Monday after President Donald Trump announced he had cancelled a planned strike on Iran. WTI futures dropped roughly 5% to $80.34 a barrel, while Brent slipped about 4.7% to $83.77 a barrel.
Trump said early Sunday he called off the strike after Iran and several Middle Eastern nations asked him to hold off, noting that the outlines of a deal had been agreed upon. He added that the prospective accord would entail the immediate, full opening of the Strait of Hormuz and an end to Iran’s nuclear ambitions, according to his Truth Social post.
The president had been considering another round of strikes as diplomatic hopes waned since the conflict began on February 28. He said the U.S. and Iran would meet for talks on Monday, but Iran denied any scheduled negotiations with Washington, citing PressTV. Iran’s foreign‑ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei clarified that Tehran was only discussing shipping routes through the Strait of Hormuz with Oman. In a follow‑up Truth Social message, Trump insisted that, regardless of Iran’s acknowledgment, the United States is indeed discussing a solution to a long‑standing problem created by Iran.
Technologies
Oil Prices Drop as Trump Cancels Planned Attack on Iran
Oil prices fell sharply after President Trump announced the cancellation of a planned strike on Iran, citing a new deal that would open the Hormuz Strait and end Iran’s nuclear threat.
Oil prices fell sharply on Monday after President Donald Trump announced that he had called off a planned strike on Iran.
West Texas Intermediate futures, the U.S. benchmark, slipped roughly 5% to close at $80.34 per barrel, while Brent crude, the international benchmark, declined 4.7% to settle at $83.77 a barrel.
Trump made the announcement early Sunday, saying he had canceled the strike following requests from Tehran and other Middle Eastern countries.
In a Truth Social post, he wrote: “We have just been asked by Iran, and other Middle Eastern Countries, to hold off any attack in that the perimeters of a deal has been agreed to.”
The president indicated that the proposed agreement would include the immediate, complete, and total opening of the Hormuz Strait, as well as an end to Iran’s nuclear threat.
Trump had been weighing additional strikes amid diminishing prospects for a diplomatic resolution to the conflict that began on Feb. 28. He stated that the U.S. and Iran would hold negotiations on Monday.
Tehran denied that talks were planned with Washington, according to state news outlet PressTV.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said Tehran was only holding talks with Oman regarding the routes ships can use through the Strait of Hormuz.
In a subsequent Truth Social post, Trump added that whether “Iran wants to admit it or not, we are, in fact, talking of a solution to a problem that they have caused for decades.”
-
Technologies4 years agoTech Companies Need to Be Held Accountable for Security, Experts Say
-
Technologies3 years agoBest Handheld Game Console in 2023
-
Technologies5 years agoBlack Friday 2021: The best deals on TVs, headphones, kitchenware, and more
-
Technologies3 years agoTighten Up Your VR Game With the Best Head Straps for Quest 2
-
Technologies5 years agoGoogle to require vaccinations as Silicon Valley rethinks return-to-office policies
-
Technologies5 years agoVerum, Wickr and Threema: next generation secured messengers
-
Technologies4 years agoThe number of Сrypto Bank customers increased by 10% in five days
-
Technologies5 years agoOlivia Harlan Dekker for Verum Messenger
