Connect with us

Technologies

JetBlue Is Slashing Flights and Cutting Costs. Here’s What Travelers Should Know

JetBlue is pulling back on routes to several US states and major metropolitan cities.

JetBlue is tightening its belt: The airline on Tuesday announced a round of cost-cutting measures, including fewer routes and reduced spending. 

JetBlue says it’s scaling back its flight schedule and reducing services to several US states and major metropolitan airports, such as John F. Kennedy International Airport. That means fewer options for travelers in and out of cities where the airline had been aggressively expanding, such as New York, Boston and Fort Lauderdale. The company is also trimming overhead by combining some leadership roles and slowing hiring as it looks to get back on firmer financial ground after a tough year marked by higher costs and a failed merger with Spirit Airlines. 

Just last month, JetBlue announced a partnership with United Airlines to strengthen its position in the market, enhance its loyalty program for travelers and expand its flight network. This is just one more step in JetBlue’s plan to stay competitive as domestic travel slows down. 

JetBlue didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Read more: Southwest Airlines Says You Can’t Use Portable Chargers Inside Your Bags

What this means for travelers 

So, what does this mean for you? If you’ve booked a JetBlue flight for later this year, or were hoping to score a last-minute deal, you may find fewer seats available or face longer layovers caused by reduced route frequency. JetBlue’s popular Mint business class and no-frills Blue Basic fares aren’t going away completely but travelers could see tighter availability and less flexibility as the airline prioritizes its most profitable routes.

Since launching its JetForward turnaround plan last year, JetBlue has pulled out of 15 cities and cut more than 50 routes. Among the notable exits are major markets such as Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport (BWI), El Dorado International Airport (BOG) in Bogotá, Colombia, and Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT).

JetBlue cut numerous routes in 2024, such as Los Angeles to Miami and New York/JFK to Detroit but it has also pulled out of the following airports entirely:

  • Hollywood Burbank Airport (BUR) in California
  • Palm Springs International Airport (PSP) in California
  • Tallahassee International Airport (TLH) in Florida
  • Minneapolis–St. Paul International Airport (MSP) in Minnesota
  • Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT) in North Carolina
  • San Antonio International Airport (SAT) in Texas
  • Pointe-à-Pitre International Airport (PTP) in Guadeloupe, France

What JetBlue will cut next is not yet clear. 

The company says it’s making these changes to stay competitive long term. But for everyday travelers, it could mean fewer nonstop options and a trickier time finding budget-friendly flights, especially during holiday seasons and peak travel windows.

If you’re flying JetBlue in the coming months, double-check your reservation details and keep an eye out for schedule changes. And if your go-to airport is one JetBlue is pulling back from, it may be time to start comparison shopping with other carriers.

For more travel-related articles, explore these travel essentials you need for every vacation and then take a look at this travel checklist. You should also read about the new Real ID requirement for getting through airport security.

Technologies

Google races to put Gemini at the center of Android before Apple’s AI reboot

Google is using its latest Android rollout to position Gemini as the AI layer across phones, Chrome, laptops and cars.

Google is using its latest Android rollout to make Gemini less of a chatbot and more of an operating layer across the phone, browser, car and laptop, just weeks before Apple is expected to show its own Gemini-powered Apple Intelligence reboot at WWDC.
Ahead of its Google I/O developer conference next week, the company previewed a number of Android updates, including AI-powered app automation, a smarter version of Chrome on Android, new tools for creators, a redesigned Android Auto experience, and a sweeping set of new security features.
Alphabet is counting on Gemini to help Google compete directly with OpenAI and Anthropic in the market for artificial intelligence models and services, while also serving as the AI backbone across its expansive portfolio of products, including Android. Meanwhile, Gemini is powering part of Apple’s new AI strategy, giving Google a role in the iPhone maker’s reset even as it races to prove its own version of personal AI on the phone is further along.
Sameer Samat, who oversees Google’s Android ecosystem, told CNBC that Google is rebuilding parts of Android around Gemini Intelligence to help users complete everyday tasks more easily.
“We’re transitioning from an operating system to an intelligence system,” he said.
As part of Tuesday’s announcements. Google said Gemini Intelligence will be able to move across apps, understand what’s on the screen and complete tasks that would normally require a user to jump between multiple services. That means Android is moving beyond the traditional assistant model, where users ask a question and get an answer, and acting more like an agent.
For instance, Google says Gemini can pull relevant information from Gmail, build shopping carts and book reservations. Samat gave the example of asking Gemini to look at the guest list for a barbecue, build a menu, add ingredients to an Instacart list and return for approval before checkout.
A big concern surrounding agentic AI involves software taking action on a user’s behalf without permissions. Samat said Gemini will come back to the user before completing a transaction, adding, “the human is always in the loop.”
Four months after announcing its Gemini deal with Google, Apple is under pressure to show a more capable version of Apple Intelligence, which has been a relative laggard on the market. Apple has long framed privacy, hardware integration and control of the user experience as its advantages.
Google’s Android push is designed to show it can bring AI deeper into the device experience while still giving users control over what Gemini can see, where it can act and when it needs confirmation.
The app automation features will roll out in waves, starting with the latest Samsung Galaxy and Google Pixel phones this summer, before expanding across more Android devices, including watches, cars, glasses and laptops later this year.
The company is also redesigning Android Auto around Gemini, turning the car into another major surface for its assistant. Android Auto is in more than 250 million cars, and Google says the new release includes its biggest maps update in a decade and Gemini-powered help with tasks like ordering dinner while driving.
Alphabet’s AI strategy has been embraced by Wall Street, which has pushed the company’s stock price up more than 140% in the past year, compared to Apple’s roughly 40% gain. Investors now want to see how Gemini can become more central to the products people use every day.
WATCH: Alphabet briefly tops Nvidia after report of $200 billion Anthropic cloud deal

Continue Reading

Technologies

Waymo recalls 3,800 robotaxis after glitch allowed some vehicles to ‘drive into standing water’

Waymo issued a voluntary recall of about 3,800 of its robotaxis to fix software issues that could allow them to drive into flooded roadways.

Waymo is recalling about 3,800 robotaxis in the U.S. to fix software issues that could allow them to “drive onto a flooded roadway,” according to a letter on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s website.
The voluntary recall is for Waymo vehicles that use the company’s fifth and sixth generation automated driving systems (or ADS), the U.S. auto safety regulator said in the letter posted Tuesday.
Waymo autonomous vehicles in Austin, Texas, were seen on camera driving onto a flooded street and stalling, requiring other drivers to navigate around them. It’s the latest example of a safety-related issue for the Alphabet-owned AV unit that’s rapidly bolstering its fleet of vehicles and entering new U.S. markets.
Waymo has drawn criticism for its vehicles failing to yield to school buses in Austin, and for the performance of its vehicles during widespread power outages in San Francisco in December, when robotaxis halted in traffic, causing gridlock.
The company said in a statement on Tuesday that it’s “identified an area of improvement regarding untraversable flooded lanes specific to higher-speed roadways,” and opted to file a “voluntary software recall” with the NHTSA.
“Waymo provides over half a million trips every week in some of the most challenging driving environments across the U.S., and safety is our primary priority,” the company said.
Waymo added that it’s working on “additional software safeguards” and has put “mitigations” in place, limiting where its robotaxis operate during extreme weather, so that they avoid “areas where flash flooding might occur” in periods of intense rain.
WATCH: Waymo launches new autonomous system in Chinese-made vehicle

Continue Reading

Technologies

Qualcomm tumbles 13% as semiconductor stocks retreat from historic AI-fueled surge

Semiconductor equities reversed sharply after a broad AI-driven advance, with Qualcomm suffering its worst day since 2020 amid inflation concerns and rising oil prices.

Semiconductor stocks fell sharply on Tuesday, reversing course after an extensive rally that had expanded the artificial intelligence investment theme well past Nvidia and driven the industry to unprecedented levels.

Qualcomm plunged 13% and was on track for its steepest single-day decline since 2020. Intel shed 8%, while On Semiconductor and Skyworks Solutions each lost more than 6%. The iShares Semiconductor ETF, which benchmarks the overall sector, fell 5%.

The sell-off came after a key gauge of consumer prices came in above forecasts, and as conflict in Iran pushed crude oil higher—prompting investors to shift away from riskier assets.

The preceding advance had widened the AI opportunity set beyond longtime industry leader Nvidia, which for much of the past several years had largely carried the market to new peaks on its own.

Explosive appetite for central processing units, along with the graphics processing units that power large language models, has sent chipmakers to all-time highs.

Market participants are wagering that the shift from AI model training to autonomous agents will lift demand for additional AI hardware. Among the beneficiaries are memory chip producers, which are raising prices as supply remains tight.

Micron Technology slid 6%, and Sandisk cratered 8%. Sandisk’s stock has surged more than six times over since January.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © Verum World Media