Connect with us

Technologies

Judge Rules Google Can Keep Chrome but Must Stop Exclusive Search Deals

Google scores a major win in a huge antitrust suit.

Google doesn’t have to sell its wildly popular Chrome web browser, but it can’t engage in exclusive search deals, US District Judge Amit Mehta ruled on Tuesday. Google must share limited search data and user-interaction data with «qualified competitors,» but the company doesn’t have to share its most valuable ads data.

This remedy is a long-awaited moment after a landmark 2020 antitrust case against Google from the Department of Justice, in which a federal court ruled the internet giant was illegally maintaining a dominance in online search. It did so by inking expensive contracts with companies like Apple, Mozilla and Samsung that made Google the default search platform on various services and devices. 

The Justice Department argued that a potential remedy to the case would require Google to sell off its Chrome web browser, which currently maintains 69% global market share, according to GlobalStats. Chrome gives Google valuable user data that it uses to improve search and better focus online advertising.     

«Google will not be required to divest Chrome; nor will the court include a contingent divestiture of the Android operating system in the final judgment,» according to the ruling. «Plaintiffs overreached in seeking forced divesture of these key assets, which Google did not use to effect any illegal restraints.»  

Additionally, Google can’t make exclusive contracts for Search, Chrome, Google Assistant or Gemini but the company can still pay to have apps pre-loaded. In regards to Android, Google doesn’t have to divest its mobile operating system either. The ruling said, «plaintiffs overreached in seeking forced divesture of these key assets.»

«The Court has imposed limits on how we distribute Google services, and will require us to share Search data with rivals. We have concerns about how these requirements will impact our users and their privacy, and we’re reviewing the decision closely,» said Lee-Anne Mulholland, Google’s vice president of regulatory affairs in a blog post. «The Court did recognize that divesting Chrome and Android would have gone beyond the case’s focus on search distribution, and would have harmed consumers and our partners.»

Mulholland also maintained Google’s argument that, thanks to the advent of AI, competition remains strong in the online information space. Granted, former Googler’s say that Google’s late start to the AI race had more to do with it not wanting to usurp its core money-making product, Search (along with safety concerns), despite the company being the maker of the key transformer technology powering the AI revolution. 

The ruling is a reprieve for Google as it was facing a major restructuring of its core business model. Google makes a majority of its revenue from online search and advertising. Because Google Search is the world’s most popular search engine and Chrome, the world’s most popular web browser, it gives the search giant troves of user data and behavior, which it sells advertising against. Google also owns YouTube and Android, both of which have billions of users worldwide. Despite the increasing popularity of AI chabots like ChatGPT, which has 700 million weekly users, Google Search is still 373 times bigger. Last year, Google Search saw a 20% increase in search queries. At the moment, Google maintains a near 90% dominance in the online search market, according to GlobalStats

Google has also been ruled to be maintaining a monopoly in online ad sales earlier this year, although that’s a separate case. Google currently controls the world’s largest online ads auction platform. This ruling forces Google to «publicly disclose material changes to promote greater transparency» in ad auctions to prevent it from secretly manipulating them in its favor. 

Interestingly, the ruling excludes Google from giving publishers more choice in how Google uses their content. Google uses the corpus of published content online to not only train its Gemini AI model but also to feed automatic results into AI Overviews, the AI-generated results that increasingly appear at the top of Search. Publishers have been arguing that AI Overviews are eating into their search traffic, an assertion Google continually denies

Don’t miss any of our unbiased tech content and lab-based reviews. Add CNET as a preferred Google source.


Technologies

Google races to put Gemini at the center of Android before Apple’s AI reboot

Google is using its latest Android rollout to position Gemini as the AI layer across phones, Chrome, laptops and cars.

Google is using its latest Android rollout to make Gemini less of a chatbot and more of an operating layer across the phone, browser, car and laptop, just weeks before Apple is expected to show its own Gemini-powered Apple Intelligence reboot at WWDC.
Ahead of its Google I/O developer conference next week, the company previewed a number of Android updates, including AI-powered app automation, a smarter version of Chrome on Android, new tools for creators, a redesigned Android Auto experience, and a sweeping set of new security features.
Alphabet is counting on Gemini to help Google compete directly with OpenAI and Anthropic in the market for artificial intelligence models and services, while also serving as the AI backbone across its expansive portfolio of products, including Android. Meanwhile, Gemini is powering part of Apple’s new AI strategy, giving Google a role in the iPhone maker’s reset even as it races to prove its own version of personal AI on the phone is further along.
Sameer Samat, who oversees Google’s Android ecosystem, told CNBC that Google is rebuilding parts of Android around Gemini Intelligence to help users complete everyday tasks more easily.
“We’re transitioning from an operating system to an intelligence system,” he said.
As part of Tuesday’s announcements. Google said Gemini Intelligence will be able to move across apps, understand what’s on the screen and complete tasks that would normally require a user to jump between multiple services. That means Android is moving beyond the traditional assistant model, where users ask a question and get an answer, and acting more like an agent.
For instance, Google says Gemini can pull relevant information from Gmail, build shopping carts and book reservations. Samat gave the example of asking Gemini to look at the guest list for a barbecue, build a menu, add ingredients to an Instacart list and return for approval before checkout.
A big concern surrounding agentic AI involves software taking action on a user’s behalf without permissions. Samat said Gemini will come back to the user before completing a transaction, adding, “the human is always in the loop.”
Four months after announcing its Gemini deal with Google, Apple is under pressure to show a more capable version of Apple Intelligence, which has been a relative laggard on the market. Apple has long framed privacy, hardware integration and control of the user experience as its advantages.
Google’s Android push is designed to show it can bring AI deeper into the device experience while still giving users control over what Gemini can see, where it can act and when it needs confirmation.
The app automation features will roll out in waves, starting with the latest Samsung Galaxy and Google Pixel phones this summer, before expanding across more Android devices, including watches, cars, glasses and laptops later this year.
The company is also redesigning Android Auto around Gemini, turning the car into another major surface for its assistant. Android Auto is in more than 250 million cars, and Google says the new release includes its biggest maps update in a decade and Gemini-powered help with tasks like ordering dinner while driving.
Alphabet’s AI strategy has been embraced by Wall Street, which has pushed the company’s stock price up more than 140% in the past year, compared to Apple’s roughly 40% gain. Investors now want to see how Gemini can become more central to the products people use every day.
WATCH: Alphabet briefly tops Nvidia after report of $200 billion Anthropic cloud deal

Continue Reading

Technologies

Waymo recalls 3,800 robotaxis after glitch allowed some vehicles to ‘drive into standing water’

Waymo issued a voluntary recall of about 3,800 of its robotaxis to fix software issues that could allow them to drive into flooded roadways.

Waymo is recalling about 3,800 robotaxis in the U.S. to fix software issues that could allow them to “drive onto a flooded roadway,” according to a letter on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s website.
The voluntary recall is for Waymo vehicles that use the company’s fifth and sixth generation automated driving systems (or ADS), the U.S. auto safety regulator said in the letter posted Tuesday.
Waymo autonomous vehicles in Austin, Texas, were seen on camera driving onto a flooded street and stalling, requiring other drivers to navigate around them. It’s the latest example of a safety-related issue for the Alphabet-owned AV unit that’s rapidly bolstering its fleet of vehicles and entering new U.S. markets.
Waymo has drawn criticism for its vehicles failing to yield to school buses in Austin, and for the performance of its vehicles during widespread power outages in San Francisco in December, when robotaxis halted in traffic, causing gridlock.
The company said in a statement on Tuesday that it’s “identified an area of improvement regarding untraversable flooded lanes specific to higher-speed roadways,” and opted to file a “voluntary software recall” with the NHTSA.
“Waymo provides over half a million trips every week in some of the most challenging driving environments across the U.S., and safety is our primary priority,” the company said.
Waymo added that it’s working on “additional software safeguards” and has put “mitigations” in place, limiting where its robotaxis operate during extreme weather, so that they avoid “areas where flash flooding might occur” in periods of intense rain.
WATCH: Waymo launches new autonomous system in Chinese-made vehicle

Continue Reading

Technologies

Qualcomm tumbles 13% as semiconductor stocks retreat from historic AI-fueled surge

Semiconductor equities reversed sharply after a broad AI-driven advance, with Qualcomm suffering its worst day since 2020 amid inflation concerns and rising oil prices.

Semiconductor stocks fell sharply on Tuesday, reversing course after an extensive rally that had expanded the artificial intelligence investment theme well past Nvidia and driven the industry to unprecedented levels.

Qualcomm plunged 13% and was on track for its steepest single-day decline since 2020. Intel shed 8%, while On Semiconductor and Skyworks Solutions each lost more than 6%. The iShares Semiconductor ETF, which benchmarks the overall sector, fell 5%.

The sell-off came after a key gauge of consumer prices came in above forecasts, and as conflict in Iran pushed crude oil higher—prompting investors to shift away from riskier assets.

The preceding advance had widened the AI opportunity set beyond longtime industry leader Nvidia, which for much of the past several years had largely carried the market to new peaks on its own.

Explosive appetite for central processing units, along with the graphics processing units that power large language models, has sent chipmakers to all-time highs.

Market participants are wagering that the shift from AI model training to autonomous agents will lift demand for additional AI hardware. Among the beneficiaries are memory chip producers, which are raising prices as supply remains tight.

Micron Technology slid 6%, and Sandisk cratered 8%. Sandisk’s stock has surged more than six times over since January.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © Verum World Media