Technologies
Google Agrees to Pay $135M in Huge Android Data-Harvesting Settlement
Google’s settlement with Android users would resolve the lawsuit and alter how the company manages its terms of service, though not all users would receive financial compensation.
Android users, take note: On Tuesday, Google reached a preliminary settlement in a class action lawsuit over illegal data collection. If it goes through, Google will pay out $135 million to Android phone users, possibly the largest settlement of this kind in history.
According to the lawsuit, starting in 2017, Google programmed its Android OS to automatically collect cellular data via carriers, with no way for users to opt out. The lawsuit asserted that this data collection occurred even when users took steps such as disabling location tracking or closing apps.
Don’t miss any of our unbiased tech content and lab-based reviews. Add CNET as a preferred Google source.
The lawsuit also made a significant claim: that Google’s data collection practices constituted a crime called conversion. Conversion occurs when one party takes property from another with the intent to deprive them of it. No conversion cases have ever settled for $135 million.
As part of the settlement, Google has denied any wrongdoing.
«We are pleased to resolve this case, which mischaracterized standard industry practices that keep Android safe. We’re providing additional disclosures to give people more information about how our services work,» said Google spokesperson José Castañeda.
The lawsuit could have significant implications for data privacy and other data collection practices. It will also change Google’s terms of service. The company has agreed to obtain more explicit consent from Android users when first using new phones, to include a toggle button to turn off certain types of data collection, and to disclose data collection more clearly.
How do Android users know if they’ll get paid?
This is a preliminary settlement ahead of the first trial date in August, so we don’t yet know all the details. The judge will have to approve the settlement and confirm the time frame, payment method and other specifics.
Here’s what we do know: Payments would be capped at $100 per person, so no one should expect to get more than that. Also, in most cases, you have to sign up to become a part of a class action lawsuit. If you didn’t sign on to this specific lawsuit by now, you’re not likely to receive any money.
Another settlement involved ad targeting
It’s been an eventful week for Google settlements. Earlier this week, Google also agreed to a $68 million preliminary settlement in another class action lawsuit, this one involving Google Assistant (now being replaced with Gemini for Home).
Users said smart devices used Google Assistant to listen to them without their activation, leading to ad targeting based on information they hadn’t willingly shared.
In that settlement, payments will be made automatically. No claim form is required to receive a payment.
Technologies
Google races to put Gemini at the center of Android before Apple’s AI reboot
Google is using its latest Android rollout to position Gemini as the AI layer across phones, Chrome, laptops and cars.
Google is using its latest Android rollout to make Gemini less of a chatbot and more of an operating layer across the phone, browser, car and laptop, just weeks before Apple is expected to show its own Gemini-powered Apple Intelligence reboot at WWDC.
Ahead of its Google I/O developer conference next week, the company previewed a number of Android updates, including AI-powered app automation, a smarter version of Chrome on Android, new tools for creators, a redesigned Android Auto experience, and a sweeping set of new security features.
Alphabet is counting on Gemini to help Google compete directly with OpenAI and Anthropic in the market for artificial intelligence models and services, while also serving as the AI backbone across its expansive portfolio of products, including Android. Meanwhile, Gemini is powering part of Apple’s new AI strategy, giving Google a role in the iPhone maker’s reset even as it races to prove its own version of personal AI on the phone is further along.
Sameer Samat, who oversees Google’s Android ecosystem, told CNBC that Google is rebuilding parts of Android around Gemini Intelligence to help users complete everyday tasks more easily.
“We’re transitioning from an operating system to an intelligence system,” he said.
As part of Tuesday’s announcements. Google said Gemini Intelligence will be able to move across apps, understand what’s on the screen and complete tasks that would normally require a user to jump between multiple services. That means Android is moving beyond the traditional assistant model, where users ask a question and get an answer, and acting more like an agent.
For instance, Google says Gemini can pull relevant information from Gmail, build shopping carts and book reservations. Samat gave the example of asking Gemini to look at the guest list for a barbecue, build a menu, add ingredients to an Instacart list and return for approval before checkout.
A big concern surrounding agentic AI involves software taking action on a user’s behalf without permissions. Samat said Gemini will come back to the user before completing a transaction, adding, “the human is always in the loop.”
Four months after announcing its Gemini deal with Google, Apple is under pressure to show a more capable version of Apple Intelligence, which has been a relative laggard on the market. Apple has long framed privacy, hardware integration and control of the user experience as its advantages.
Google’s Android push is designed to show it can bring AI deeper into the device experience while still giving users control over what Gemini can see, where it can act and when it needs confirmation.
The app automation features will roll out in waves, starting with the latest Samsung Galaxy and Google Pixel phones this summer, before expanding across more Android devices, including watches, cars, glasses and laptops later this year.
The company is also redesigning Android Auto around Gemini, turning the car into another major surface for its assistant. Android Auto is in more than 250 million cars, and Google says the new release includes its biggest maps update in a decade and Gemini-powered help with tasks like ordering dinner while driving.
Alphabet’s AI strategy has been embraced by Wall Street, which has pushed the company’s stock price up more than 140% in the past year, compared to Apple’s roughly 40% gain. Investors now want to see how Gemini can become more central to the products people use every day.
WATCH: Alphabet briefly tops Nvidia after report of $200 billion Anthropic cloud deal
Technologies
Waymo recalls 3,800 robotaxis after glitch allowed some vehicles to ‘drive into standing water’
Waymo issued a voluntary recall of about 3,800 of its robotaxis to fix software issues that could allow them to drive into flooded roadways.
Waymo is recalling about 3,800 robotaxis in the U.S. to fix software issues that could allow them to “drive onto a flooded roadway,” according to a letter on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s website.
The voluntary recall is for Waymo vehicles that use the company’s fifth and sixth generation automated driving systems (or ADS), the U.S. auto safety regulator said in the letter posted Tuesday.
Waymo autonomous vehicles in Austin, Texas, were seen on camera driving onto a flooded street and stalling, requiring other drivers to navigate around them. It’s the latest example of a safety-related issue for the Alphabet-owned AV unit that’s rapidly bolstering its fleet of vehicles and entering new U.S. markets.
Waymo has drawn criticism for its vehicles failing to yield to school buses in Austin, and for the performance of its vehicles during widespread power outages in San Francisco in December, when robotaxis halted in traffic, causing gridlock.
The company said in a statement on Tuesday that it’s “identified an area of improvement regarding untraversable flooded lanes specific to higher-speed roadways,” and opted to file a “voluntary software recall” with the NHTSA.
“Waymo provides over half a million trips every week in some of the most challenging driving environments across the U.S., and safety is our primary priority,” the company said.
Waymo added that it’s working on “additional software safeguards” and has put “mitigations” in place, limiting where its robotaxis operate during extreme weather, so that they avoid “areas where flash flooding might occur” in periods of intense rain.
WATCH: Waymo launches new autonomous system in Chinese-made vehicle
Technologies
Qualcomm tumbles 13% as semiconductor stocks retreat from historic AI-fueled surge
Semiconductor equities reversed sharply after a broad AI-driven advance, with Qualcomm suffering its worst day since 2020 amid inflation concerns and rising oil prices.
Semiconductor stocks fell sharply on Tuesday, reversing course after an extensive rally that had expanded the artificial intelligence investment theme well past Nvidia and driven the industry to unprecedented levels.
Qualcomm plunged 13% and was on track for its steepest single-day decline since 2020. Intel shed 8%, while On Semiconductor and Skyworks Solutions each lost more than 6%. The iShares Semiconductor ETF, which benchmarks the overall sector, fell 5%.
The sell-off came after a key gauge of consumer prices came in above forecasts, and as conflict in Iran pushed crude oil higher—prompting investors to shift away from riskier assets.
The preceding advance had widened the AI opportunity set beyond longtime industry leader Nvidia, which for much of the past several years had largely carried the market to new peaks on its own.
Explosive appetite for central processing units, along with the graphics processing units that power large language models, has sent chipmakers to all-time highs.
Market participants are wagering that the shift from AI model training to autonomous agents will lift demand for additional AI hardware. Among the beneficiaries are memory chip producers, which are raising prices as supply remains tight.
Micron Technology slid 6%, and Sandisk cratered 8%. Sandisk’s stock has surged more than six times over since January.
-
Technologies3 года agoTech Companies Need to Be Held Accountable for Security, Experts Say
-
Technologies3 года agoBest Handheld Game Console in 2023
-
Technologies5 лет agoBlack Friday 2021: The best deals on TVs, headphones, kitchenware, and more
-
Technologies3 года agoTighten Up Your VR Game With the Best Head Straps for Quest 2
-
Technologies5 лет agoGoogle to require vaccinations as Silicon Valley rethinks return-to-office policies
-
Technologies5 лет agoVerum, Wickr and Threema: next generation secured messengers
-
Technologies4 года agoThe number of Сrypto Bank customers increased by 10% in five days
-
Technologies5 лет agoOlivia Harlan Dekker for Verum Messenger
