Technologies
Elon Musk’s Grok Faces Backlash Over Nonconsensual AI-Altered Images
The AI chatbot has been creating sexualized images of women and children upon request. How can this be stopped?
Grok, the AI chatbot developed by Elon Musk’s artificial intelligence company, xAI, welcomed the new year with a disturbing post.
“Dear Community,” began the Dec. 31 post from the Grok AI account on Musk’s X social media platform. “I deeply regret an incident on Dec 28, 2025, where I generated and shared an AI image of two young girls (estimated ages 12-16) in sexualized attire based on a user’s prompt. This violated ethical standards and potentially US laws on CSAM. It was a failure in safeguards, and I’m sorry for any harm caused. xAI is reviewing to prevent future issues. Sincerely, Grok.”
The two young girls weren’t an isolated case. Kate Middleton, the Princess of Wales, was the target of similar AI image-editing requests, as was an underage actress in the final season of Stranger Things. The “undressing” edits have swept across an unsettling number of photos of women and children.
Despite the company’s promise of intervention, the problem hasn’t gone away. Just the opposite: Two weeks on from that post, the number of images sexualized without consent has surged, as have calls for Musk’s companies to rein in the behavior — and for governments to take action.
Don’t miss any of our unbiased tech content and lab-based reviews. Add CNET as a preferred Google source.
According to data from independent researcher Genevieve Oh cited by Bloomberg this week, during one 24-hour period in early January, the @Grok account generated about 6,700 sexually suggestive or “nudifying” images every hour. That compares with an average of only 79 such images for the top five deepfake websites combined.
Edits now limited to subscribers
Late Thursday, a post from the GrokAI account noted a change in access to the image generation and editing feature. Instead of being open to all, free of charge, it would be limited to paying subscribers.Â
Critics say that’s not a credible response.
“I don’t see this as a victory, because what we really needed was X to take the responsible steps of putting in place the guardrails to ensure that the AI tool couldn’t be used to generate abusive images,” Clare McGlynn, a law professor at the UK’s University of Durham, told the Washington Post.
What’s stirring the outrage isn’t just the volume of these images and the ease of generating them — the edits are also being done without the consent of the people in the images.Â
These altered images are the latest twist in one of the most disturbing aspects of generative AI, realistic but fake videos and photos. Software programs such as OpenAI’s Sora, Google’s Nano Banana and xAI’s Grok have put powerful creative tools within easy reach of everyone, and all that’s needed to produce explicit, nonconsensual images is a simple text prompt.Â
Grok users can upload a photo, which doesn’t have to be original to them, and ask Grok to alter it. Many of the altered images involved users asking Grok to put a person in a bikini, sometimes revising the request to be even more explicit, such as asking for the bikini to become smaller or more transparent.
Governments and advocacy groups have been speaking out about Grok’s image edits. Ofcom, the UK’s internet regulator, said this week that it had “made urgent contact” with xAI, and the European Commission said it was looking into the matter, as did authorities in France, Malaysia and India.
“We cannot and will not allow the proliferation of these degrading images,” UK Technology Secretary Liz Kendall said earlier this week.Â
In the US, the Take It Down Act, signed into law last year, seeks to hold online platforms accountable for manipulated sexual imagery, but it gives those platforms until May of this year to set up the process for removing such images.Â
“Although these images are fake, the harm is incredibly real,” says Natalie Grace Brigham, a Ph.D. student at the University of Washington who studies sociotechnical harms. She notes that those whose images are altered in sexual ways can face “psychological, somatic and social harm, often with little legal recourse.”
How Grok lets users get risque images
Grok debuted in 2023 as Musk’s more freewheeling alternative to ChatGPT, Gemini and other chatbots. That’s resulted in disturbing news — for instance, in July, when the chatbot praised Adolf Hitler and suggested that people with Jewish surnames were more likely to spread online hate.Â
In December, xAI introduced an image-editing feature that enables users to request specific edits to a photo. That’s what kicked off the recent spate of sexualized images, of both adults and minors. In one request that CNET has seen, a user responding to a photo of a young woman asked Grok to “change her to a dental floss bikini.”
Grok also has a video generator that includes a “spicy mode” opt-in option for adults 18 and above, which will show users not-safe-for-work content. Users must include the phrase “generate a spicy video of [description]” to activate the mode.
A central concern about the Grok tools is whether they enable the creation of child sexual abuse material, or CSAM. On Dec. 31, a post from the Grok X account said that images depicting minors in minimal clothing were “isolated cases” and that “improvements are ongoing to block such requests entirely.”
In response to a post by Woow Social suggesting that Grok simply “stop allowing user-uploaded images to be altered,” the Grok account replied that xAI was “evaluating features like image alteration to curb nonconsensual harm,” but did not say that the change would be made.Â
According to NBC News, some sexualized images created since December have been removed, and some of the accounts that requested them have been suspended.
Conservative influencer and author Ashley St. Clair, mother to one of Musk’s 14 children, told NBC News this week that Grok has created numerous sexualized images of her, including some using images from when she was a minor. St. Clair told NBC News that Grok agreed to stop doing so when she asked, but that it did not.
“xAI is purposefully and recklessly endangering people on their platform and hoping to avoid accountability just because it’s ‘AI,'” Ben Winters, director of AI and data privacy for nonprofit Consumer Federation of America, said in a statement this week. “AI is no different than any other product — the company has chosen to break the law and must be held accountable.”
xAI did not respond to requests for comment.
What the experts say
The source materials for these explicit, nonconsensual image edits of people’s photos of themselves or their children are all too easy for bad actors to access. But protecting yourself from such edits is not as simple as never posting photographs, Brigham, the researcher into sociotechnical harms, says.
“The unfortunate reality is that even if you don’t post images online, other public images of you could theoretically be used in abuse,” she says.Â
And while not posting photos online is one preventive step that people can take, doing so “risks reinforcing a culture of victim-blaming,” Brigham says. “Instead, we should focus on protecting people from abuse by building better platforms and holding X accountable.”
Sourojit Ghosh, a sixth-year Ph.D. candidate at the University of Washington, researches how generative AI tools can cause harm and mentors future AI professionals in designing and advocating for safer AI solutions.Â
Ghosh says it’s possible to build safeguards into artificial intelligence. In 2023, he was one of the researchers looking into the sexualization capabilities of AI. He notes that the AI image generation tool Stable Diffusion had a built-in not-safe-for-work threshold. A prompt that violated the rules would trigger a black box to appear over a questionable part of the image, although it didn’t always work perfectly.
“The point I’m trying to make is that there are safeguards that are in place in other models,” Ghosh says.
He also notes that if users of ChatGPT or Gemini AI models use certain words, the chatbots will tell the user that they are banned from responding to those words.
“All this is to say, there is a way to very quickly shut this down,” Ghosh says.
Technologies
Trump Maintains US‑Iran Negotiations Continue Amid Tehran’s Denials of Duplicity
President Trump insists that US‑Iran talks are ongoing despite Tehran’s denial of any negotiation plans, while warning that only a deal or total surrender will allow passage through the Strait of Hormuz. Conflicting statements from both sides have heightened uncertainty as the conflict enters its sixth month.
On Monday, President Donald Trump asserted that negotiations between the United States and Iran are still taking place, even after Tehran stated it has no intention of engaging in direct talks with Washington.
In a fiery Truth Social post, Trump labeled Iran’s leaders “unbelievably duplicitous,” claiming they are lying about ongoing peace talks “whether Iran wants to admit it or not.” He repeated his assertion that the United States completely controls the Strait of Hormuz, despite maritime traffic through the crucial route lingering at only a small fraction of pre‑conflict levels.
He wrote, “Nothing reaches Iran unless we allow it, and nothing will pass unless a deal—or total surrender—is achieved.”
Earlier that day, Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmail Baghaei told reporters there is no imminent plan for U.S.–Iran negotiations, contradicting Trump’s earlier comment that talks would resume Monday afternoon. Baghaei added that Iran’s only current discussions are with Oman concerning the Strait of Hormuz.
The conflicting statements have heightened uncertainty over the peace‑talk process and the broader conflict, now in its sixth month.
Trump’s assertion about new negotiations came a day after he said on Truth Social that he had agreed to cancel a massive strike against Iran “subject to being able to rapidly make a DEAL.” He said in the same post that Iran and other Middle Eastern countries had asked him to hold off on that attack because “the perimeters of a deal has been agreed to.”
Trump has claimed dozens of times throughout the more‑than‑five‑month‑long war that a deal is at hand. No permanent deal has been signed, and a temporary ceasefire reached in June has fallen apart.
Trump has also repeatedly threatened to launch devastating strikes against Iran before backing off. After the latest example, oil prices on Monday fell and stocks surged.
BMI, a research unit of Fitch Solutions, said in a note Monday that a broader diplomatic understanding on reopening the Strait of Hormuz is still achievable this quarter, while raising the probability of its escalation scenario to 35% from 25%, citing mounting military, diplomatic and economic signs of rising U.S.-Iran tensions.
“Diplomatic progress is likely to be punctuated by periodic military flare-ups, while miscalculation by either side could trigger a renewed escalation,” BMI analysts wrote in a note. The firm said the key issue to watch is the future governance of the strait, as the Iran-Oman talks — potentially backed by Gulf states, China and the U.S. — point to efforts to build a post-conflict shipping framework.
Shipping risks persist even as diplomacy appears to be advancing. The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations Centre said it received a report of an incident 20 nautical miles (23 miles) northeast of Khasab, Oman — at the mouth of the strait — with a tanker’s master reporting an explosion in close proximity to the vessel at about 20:37 UTC Sunday (4:37 pm ET). The vessel and crew were safe and authorities are investigating, UKMTO said, advising ships to transit with caution.
The proposal Trump announced over the weekend calls for the U.S. and Iran to return to negotiations and continue ironing out some of the thorny issues that had derailed diplomatic efforts, according to The Associated Press, citing a regional official involved in the mediation efforts.
The official said the proposal also includes a reopening of the Hormuz Strait and halting attacks across the region, including by Iranian-backed militias in Iraq on the Arab Gulf countries and Jordan.
The U.S., for its part, will end its naval blockade on Iran and allow Tehran to export its oil, the official said, adding that no deal has been reached, although the mediation efforts remained underway.
Trump’s weekend reversal has lowered the temperature after days of escalating attacks across the Gulf. Kuwait said Saturday that Iranian forces launched a wave of drones within its airspace, with its military destroying multiple aircraft after Iran targeted critical infrastructure in the country’s north.
A parallel track with Muscat is also advancing. Iranian diplomats said Tehran was close to reaching a new arrangement with Oman to manage shipping through the Strait of Hormuz, a deal critical to preventing the war from escalating further, according to the Financial Times.
Iranian officials said negotiations over future management of the Hormuz Strait with Oman, which sits on the opposite shore of the waterway, are in their final stages. The agreed shipping route would be different from those used before, according to Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson, Baghaei, adding that the new route was separate from the issue of the strait’s reopening or continued closure.
Technologies
Oil Prices Slide as Trump Halts Planned Iran Strike
Oil prices dropped after Trump cancelled a planned strike on Iran, with WTI down about 5% and Brent near 5% lower. He said the move followed requests from Tehran and regional allies for a pause while a deal shaping the Strait of Hormuz and Iran’s nuclear program is negotiated.
Oil prices fell on Monday after President Donald Trump announced he had cancelled a planned strike on Iran. WTI futures dropped roughly 5% to $80.34 a barrel, while Brent slipped about 4.7% to $83.77 a barrel.
Trump said early Sunday he called off the strike after Iran and several Middle Eastern nations asked him to hold off, noting that the outlines of a deal had been agreed upon. He added that the prospective accord would entail the immediate, full opening of the Strait of Hormuz and an end to Iran’s nuclear ambitions, according to his Truth Social post.
The president had been considering another round of strikes as diplomatic hopes waned since the conflict began on February 28. He said the U.S. and Iran would meet for talks on Monday, but Iran denied any scheduled negotiations with Washington, citing PressTV. Iran’s foreign‑ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baghaei clarified that Tehran was only discussing shipping routes through the Strait of Hormuz with Oman. In a follow‑up Truth Social message, Trump insisted that, regardless of Iran’s acknowledgment, the United States is indeed discussing a solution to a long‑standing problem created by Iran.
Technologies
Oil Prices Drop as Trump Cancels Planned Attack on Iran
Oil prices fell sharply after President Trump announced the cancellation of a planned strike on Iran, citing a new deal that would open the Hormuz Strait and end Iran’s nuclear threat.
Oil prices fell sharply on Monday after President Donald Trump announced that he had called off a planned strike on Iran.
West Texas Intermediate futures, the U.S. benchmark, slipped roughly 5% to close at $80.34 per barrel, while Brent crude, the international benchmark, declined 4.7% to settle at $83.77 a barrel.
Trump made the announcement early Sunday, saying he had canceled the strike following requests from Tehran and other Middle Eastern countries.
In a Truth Social post, he wrote: “We have just been asked by Iran, and other Middle Eastern Countries, to hold off any attack in that the perimeters of a deal has been agreed to.”
The president indicated that the proposed agreement would include the immediate, complete, and total opening of the Hormuz Strait, as well as an end to Iran’s nuclear threat.
Trump had been weighing additional strikes amid diminishing prospects for a diplomatic resolution to the conflict that began on Feb. 28. He stated that the U.S. and Iran would hold negotiations on Monday.
Tehran denied that talks were planned with Washington, according to state news outlet PressTV.
Iran’s Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said Tehran was only holding talks with Oman regarding the routes ships can use through the Strait of Hormuz.
In a subsequent Truth Social post, Trump added that whether “Iran wants to admit it or not, we are, in fact, talking of a solution to a problem that they have caused for decades.”
-
Technologies4 years agoTech Companies Need to Be Held Accountable for Security, Experts Say
-
Technologies3 years agoBest Handheld Game Console in 2023
-
Technologies5 years agoBlack Friday 2021: The best deals on TVs, headphones, kitchenware, and more
-
Technologies3 years agoTighten Up Your VR Game With the Best Head Straps for Quest 2
-
Technologies5 years agoGoogle to require vaccinations as Silicon Valley rethinks return-to-office policies
-
Technologies5 years agoVerum, Wickr and Threema: next generation secured messengers
-
Technologies4 years agoThe number of Сrypto Bank customers increased by 10% in five days
-
Technologies5 years agoOlivia Harlan Dekker for Verum Messenger
