Connect with us

Technologies

Social Security Disruptions: What to Know About Access Issues

Ongoing Social Security Administration website issues continue. Here’s what we know about what’s going on.

The Social Security Administration is reeling from dramatic changes over the past few months that have affected beneficiaries across the country, stirring widespread anxiety. 

In February, the agency laid off  7,000 employees. Meanwhile, it’s become harder to contact the SSA via phone, and the website has been struggling to stay online. 

TAX SOFTWARE DEALS OF THE WEEK

Deals are selected by the CNET Group commerce team, and may be unrelated to this article.

According to a report from The Washington Post this week, the Social Security Administration website issues have left beneficiaries unable to log in. There have been spates of intermittent uptime and crashes caused by an influx of traffic due to an expanded fraud checking system that wasn’t tested at scale. 

Below, we’ll break down what’s been going on at the SSA and call out a few things you can try to do if you run into issues yourself. The agency provides benefits to 73 million recipients, so even a modest percentage of that could be a substantial number of people.

For more, don’t miss Social Security Disability Insurance recipients may want to file taxes this year.

Newly expanded fraud checking system

An expansion of an existing contract with a credit-reporting agency seems to be the main source of the SSA website issues, according to the report in The Washington Post. The agency tracks an assortment of personal information for verification purposes, and claims now require these checks to happen earlier in the process, boosting traffic volume significantly. It also appears that the implementation wasn’t tested at the full scale of the website, and bugs resulted in the login portal failing, leaving Social Security recipients unable to access their accounts, the report said. 

Login issues, missing information and a broken appointment system

Many people are having trouble logging in to their My Social Security accounts, and those who can get in don’t seem to get much further. Some people who can successfully log in discover that information is missing, with many Supplements Security Income recipients receiving incorrect messages saying they «currently are not receiving payments.» 

The Post’s report also says people aren’t able to schedule appointments at all via the website, which has led them to wait on hold for extended periods. Long waits on the phone have been common in the past but seem to be getting markedly worse. The New York Times also has a recent report with similar findings. 

Employees have limited access to internal tool systems

It’s not just beneficiaries: Outages mean employees at the SSA are also being locked out of their internal tools at times, preventing them from completing tasks at offices. This has resulted in some employees having to write down on paper information from recipients and manually input the information once their system goes back online, according to the Post’s report. 

Payments haven’t been affected

Despite the problems, payments haven’t been affected, at least not yet. If you’re in good standing with your My Social Security account, you can more than likely get away with not logging in while the issues get resolved. 

More-strict identification rules go into effect on April 14

In late March, the SSA announced new rules pertaining to identity proofing that will go into effect on April 14. The new rules said that in-person identity proofing for people unable to use their My Social Security account will be required for certain services. It later announced on X (Formerly Twitter) that it had walked back some of the restrictions. 

Prior to the rollback of restrictions, those applying for retirement or survivor benefits and spouse or child auxiliary benefits who can’t use their online account would potentially be required to do in-person identity proofing. Now, as long as you pass the anti-fraud check, any claim can be completed over the phone. If you’re flagged during the check, you will have to complete your claim in-person and can expect additional identity proofing measures. 

The only thing that hasn’t been touched by the rollback is if an individual needs to update their direct deposit information for any benefit and cannot perform or complete the action online. This will require an in-person visit at a local office. 

What can you do now?

If you’re unable to log in to your My Social Security account and need to make an adjustment to your account, like updating your earnings or changing your emergency contact information, you have a couple of options. 

First, you can try to use the phone system by calling 1-800-772-1213. Once you get through the menus, you should be given an estimated wait time. You can visit the SSA’s contact page to see the average wait times per hour on any particular weekday.   

If you’re limited on time or can’t get through via phone, you can also head to a local field office. And despite the rumors of field offices potentially closing all over the country, the SSA published a blog post that said rumors were false and that it hasn’t closed one field office in 2025, only General Services Administration office spaces that were underutilized, and most of which had no assigned employees. 

Because of the website problems and the problems making an appointment, wait times at local offices could be longer than usual. But at least for now, these offices aren’t going anywhere. 

For more, check out the Supplemental Security Income payment schedule and the Social Security and SSDI cheat sheet. 

Technologies

Google races to put Gemini at the center of Android before Apple’s AI reboot

Google is using its latest Android rollout to position Gemini as the AI layer across phones, Chrome, laptops and cars.

Google is using its latest Android rollout to make Gemini less of a chatbot and more of an operating layer across the phone, browser, car and laptop, just weeks before Apple is expected to show its own Gemini-powered Apple Intelligence reboot at WWDC.
Ahead of its Google I/O developer conference next week, the company previewed a number of Android updates, including AI-powered app automation, a smarter version of Chrome on Android, new tools for creators, a redesigned Android Auto experience, and a sweeping set of new security features.
Alphabet is counting on Gemini to help Google compete directly with OpenAI and Anthropic in the market for artificial intelligence models and services, while also serving as the AI backbone across its expansive portfolio of products, including Android. Meanwhile, Gemini is powering part of Apple’s new AI strategy, giving Google a role in the iPhone maker’s reset even as it races to prove its own version of personal AI on the phone is further along.
Sameer Samat, who oversees Google’s Android ecosystem, told CNBC that Google is rebuilding parts of Android around Gemini Intelligence to help users complete everyday tasks more easily.
“We’re transitioning from an operating system to an intelligence system,” he said.
As part of Tuesday’s announcements. Google said Gemini Intelligence will be able to move across apps, understand what’s on the screen and complete tasks that would normally require a user to jump between multiple services. That means Android is moving beyond the traditional assistant model, where users ask a question and get an answer, and acting more like an agent.
For instance, Google says Gemini can pull relevant information from Gmail, build shopping carts and book reservations. Samat gave the example of asking Gemini to look at the guest list for a barbecue, build a menu, add ingredients to an Instacart list and return for approval before checkout.
A big concern surrounding agentic AI involves software taking action on a user’s behalf without permissions. Samat said Gemini will come back to the user before completing a transaction, adding, “the human is always in the loop.”
Four months after announcing its Gemini deal with Google, Apple is under pressure to show a more capable version of Apple Intelligence, which has been a relative laggard on the market. Apple has long framed privacy, hardware integration and control of the user experience as its advantages.
Google’s Android push is designed to show it can bring AI deeper into the device experience while still giving users control over what Gemini can see, where it can act and when it needs confirmation.
The app automation features will roll out in waves, starting with the latest Samsung Galaxy and Google Pixel phones this summer, before expanding across more Android devices, including watches, cars, glasses and laptops later this year.
The company is also redesigning Android Auto around Gemini, turning the car into another major surface for its assistant. Android Auto is in more than 250 million cars, and Google says the new release includes its biggest maps update in a decade and Gemini-powered help with tasks like ordering dinner while driving.
Alphabet’s AI strategy has been embraced by Wall Street, which has pushed the company’s stock price up more than 140% in the past year, compared to Apple’s roughly 40% gain. Investors now want to see how Gemini can become more central to the products people use every day.
WATCH: Alphabet briefly tops Nvidia after report of $200 billion Anthropic cloud deal

Continue Reading

Technologies

Waymo recalls 3,800 robotaxis after glitch allowed some vehicles to ‘drive into standing water’

Waymo issued a voluntary recall of about 3,800 of its robotaxis to fix software issues that could allow them to drive into flooded roadways.

Waymo is recalling about 3,800 robotaxis in the U.S. to fix software issues that could allow them to “drive onto a flooded roadway,” according to a letter on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration’s website.
The voluntary recall is for Waymo vehicles that use the company’s fifth and sixth generation automated driving systems (or ADS), the U.S. auto safety regulator said in the letter posted Tuesday.
Waymo autonomous vehicles in Austin, Texas, were seen on camera driving onto a flooded street and stalling, requiring other drivers to navigate around them. It’s the latest example of a safety-related issue for the Alphabet-owned AV unit that’s rapidly bolstering its fleet of vehicles and entering new U.S. markets.
Waymo has drawn criticism for its vehicles failing to yield to school buses in Austin, and for the performance of its vehicles during widespread power outages in San Francisco in December, when robotaxis halted in traffic, causing gridlock.
The company said in a statement on Tuesday that it’s “identified an area of improvement regarding untraversable flooded lanes specific to higher-speed roadways,” and opted to file a “voluntary software recall” with the NHTSA.
“Waymo provides over half a million trips every week in some of the most challenging driving environments across the U.S., and safety is our primary priority,” the company said.
Waymo added that it’s working on “additional software safeguards” and has put “mitigations” in place, limiting where its robotaxis operate during extreme weather, so that they avoid “areas where flash flooding might occur” in periods of intense rain.
WATCH: Waymo launches new autonomous system in Chinese-made vehicle

Continue Reading

Technologies

Qualcomm tumbles 13% as semiconductor stocks retreat from historic AI-fueled surge

Semiconductor equities reversed sharply after a broad AI-driven advance, with Qualcomm suffering its worst day since 2020 amid inflation concerns and rising oil prices.

Semiconductor stocks fell sharply on Tuesday, reversing course after an extensive rally that had expanded the artificial intelligence investment theme well past Nvidia and driven the industry to unprecedented levels.

Qualcomm plunged 13% and was on track for its steepest single-day decline since 2020. Intel shed 8%, while On Semiconductor and Skyworks Solutions each lost more than 6%. The iShares Semiconductor ETF, which benchmarks the overall sector, fell 5%.

The sell-off came after a key gauge of consumer prices came in above forecasts, and as conflict in Iran pushed crude oil higher—prompting investors to shift away from riskier assets.

The preceding advance had widened the AI opportunity set beyond longtime industry leader Nvidia, which for much of the past several years had largely carried the market to new peaks on its own.

Explosive appetite for central processing units, along with the graphics processing units that power large language models, has sent chipmakers to all-time highs.

Market participants are wagering that the shift from AI model training to autonomous agents will lift demand for additional AI hardware. Among the beneficiaries are memory chip producers, which are raising prices as supply remains tight.

Micron Technology slid 6%, and Sandisk cratered 8%. Sandisk’s stock has surged more than six times over since January.

Continue Reading

Trending

Copyright © Verum World Media