Technologies
Troubled Boeing Starliner headed back to factory, further delaying NASA launch
A persistent valve problem remains after the issue scrubbed a second launch attempt earlier this month.
After more than a week trying to fix a problem with stuck valves, Boeing’s Starliner crew capsule is coming off the Atlas V rocket that was meant to send it to orbit for some «deeper-level troubleshooting.» In a call with media on Friday, NASA’s Steve Stich said Starliner now won’t be able to undertake its test flight to the International Space Station until late October at the earliest.
Boeing had hoped to launch Starliner on Aug. 3 in an attempt to dock with the ISS, but the attempt was scrubbed — the second delay in less than a week. Boeing’s first try way back in December 2019 failed to reach the correct orbit but gave it valuable data.
Engineers «detected unexpected valve position indicationsin the propulsion system» during a health check of the spacecraft after electrical storms in the region, Boeing said at the time. It remainsuncertain if the storms were responsible for the technical issue.
The spacecraft was moved off the pad and returned to a hangar (or»vertical integration facility») on Aug. 4 but as of Friday, four valves were still malfunctioning, forcing Boeing to de-stack the vehicle to get a better look at the problem.
«We’ll continueto work the issue from the Starliner factory,» Boeing’s Commercial Crew Program manager John Vollmer said.
He also cast some doubt on the possibility that the capsule will get off the ground in 2021: «It’s probably too early to say whether it’s this year, or not.»
The mission was originally scheduled to take off July 30, but that was delayed due to an issue Thursday with a Russian ISS module firing its thrusters shortly after docking with the station. That knocked the space station around and forced teams to evaluate the station’s status.
When Starliner does finally launch, it will lift off on a United Launch Alliance (ULA) Atlas V rocket. The capsule will be packed with around 400 pounds of crew supplies and cargo. If all goes well, it’ll dock with the space station about 24 hours later. Docking will also be covered live by NASA TV.
Software defects and a communications link problem led to a premature end to the original Boeing test flight in 2019, though the CST-100 Starliner capsule landed safely back on Earth. The upcoming Orbital Flight Test-2 (OFT-2) mission is a chance for Boeing to thoroughly vet its hardware and software before a crew of three American astronauts would fly on Starliner.
Both Boeing and SpaceX are part of NASA’s Commercial Crew Program, which is all about sending astronauts to the ISS from American soil. SpaceX has now delivered 10 astronauts to the ISS, and Boeing would like to catch up. But first, it’ll need to show that its Starliner can safely reach the ISS and return to Earth.
Starliner will spend between five and 10 days at the ISS before bringing research samples back to Earth. Boeing will aim to bring the spacecraft back for a parachute landing in the desert of New Mexico.
«OFT-2 will provide valuable data that will help NASA certify Boeing’s crew transportation system to carry astronauts to and from the space station,» NASA said in a statement July 22 after concluding a flight readiness review.
The mission is a key step for NASA’s plans to run regular crewed launches from the US, ending its reliance on Russian Soyuz spacecraft. Boeing is also looking ahead at its first crewed mission, Boe-CFT, which it had been hoping to launch within the next six months. The delays with OFT-2 could mean a longer wait before people fly on Starliner.
Follow CNET’s 2021 Space Calendar to stay up to date with all the latest space news this year. You can even add it to your own Google Calendar.
Technologies
Repair Your Electronics at Home With This Rare Black Friday Discount on the iFixit Pro Tech Go Toolkit
This toolkit rarely goes on sale, so take advantage of this opportunity to snag it for only $40.
While Black Friday is an excellent time to replace old smartphones or broken laptops at a discount, not everyone is looking to splurge on new tech right now. If you’re shopping on a budget, or simply like the devices that you have and aren’t ready for an upgrade, investing in an electronics repair kit may be a wise option. We’ve spotted a discount on the iFixit Pro Tech Go tech toolkit, bringing its price down to just $40. But don’t delay, Black Friday is in its final hours and this kit rarely goes on sale.
The iFixit Pro Tech Go kit can be used to open up and repair a wide range of electronics, including smartphones, laptops, gaming consoles, and smart home devices for DIY repairs like battery or screen replacements. The kit has a 32-bit Moray driver kit, an opening tool, a suction handle, a jimmy, a spudger and angled tweezer to carefully open your devices.
Don’t miss any of our unbiased tech content and lab-based reviews. Add CNET as a preferred Google source.
Repairing your own tech can save you hundreds or even thousands of dollars. It also reduces e-waste by helping your devices last longer rather than throwing them away over minor issue. As of this year, all 50 states have introduced right-to-repair legislation designed to give people a legal right to fix their own tech, and several states have already signed it into law.
You can check out more deals from iFixIt now on Amazon. Plus, for other budget buys, check out our roundup of the best Black Friday deals under $100.
MOBILE DEALS OF THE WEEK
-
$749 (save $250)
-
$475 (save $175)
-
$499 (save $300)
-
$900 (save $400)
Why this deal matters
This is a record low price on a repair kit that rarely goes on sale. While we did see a modest discount on the iFixit Pro Tech Go toolkit during Amazon Prime Day in July, it was not marked down for October Prime Day or other sales such as Memorial Day or Labor Day. As such, it’s fairly unlikely that we’ll see it go on sale again this season, so this might be your last chance to get the toolkit for only $40.
Join Our Daily Deals Text Group!
Get hand-picked deals from CNET shopping experts straight to your phone.
By signing up, you confirm you are 16+ and agree to receive recurring marketing messages at the phone number provided. Consent is not a condition of purchase. Reply STOP to unsubscribe. Msg & data rates may apply. View our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.
Technologies
Don’t Say Goodbye to Black Friday Yet. These Rare Apple Discounts Are Still Going Strong
Technologies
What a Ban Would Actually Mean for DJI Drone Owners and Holiday Shoppers
What’s the secret to a very un-merry shopping season? A brand new, unusable drone.
With Thanksgiving wrapped up and the Black Friday shopping sales here, if a DJI drone is on your holiday wish list, you might want to hit «buy» immediately. The company has issued a stark warning: Its drones could be banned from sale in the US, and the deadline is looming.
The Federal Communications Commission voted 3-0 at the end of October to «close loopholes» that allow tech deemed a «national security risk» to be sold in the US. In plain English, the US government is clearing the path to give DJI the same treatment it gave Chinese phone-maker Huawei, effectively banning its products from the American market.
The US government has deemed DJI, which is based in China, a security risk. It’s also considering a separate ban on TP-Link routers.
DJI is already sounding the alarm, posting on Instagram that a «deadline that could decide DJI’s fate in the US is just 43 days away» (now 19 days away). The company is warning that without an audit, its products could face an «automatic ban.» The US government has long labeled the Chinese drone maker a security risk, and it looks like the hammer might finally be coming down right before the holidays.
Don’t miss any of our unbiased tech content and lab-based reviews. Add CNET as a preferred Google source.
The vote isn’t the end of the road, however. Future bans would need to target specific products and would require a period of public consultation. But it appears the groundwork is being set for the FCC to block sales of future and some existing DJI drones from US shores, as well as products that use DJI technology.
The government has called for a DJI audit by the end of the year, but if that doesn’t happen, DJI drone products could be banned for sale by default under a national security law.
DJI asks for a security audit before any ban
A representative for DJI told CNET that while the FCC vote references a rule change that doesn’t currently apply to DJI specifically, the National Defense Authorization Act deadline in December would put Chinese companies like it on the FCC’s ban list, «without any evidence of wrongdoing or the right to appeal.»
Adam Welsh, head of global policy at DJI, said the company has repeatedly said it would be open to audit, but that «more than 10 months have now passed with no sign that the process has begun.»
«The US government has every right to strengthen national security measures, but this must go hand in hand with due process, fairness, and transparency,» Welsh said.
Welsh said DJI is urging the government to start the audit process or grant an extension.
Will DJI drone owners need to give them up?
Because the ban would apply to new sales, not drones that have already been sold, a DJI drone you already own would still be legal to use — at least under current rules.
Government agencies, however, are prohibited from purchasing or using drones from Chinese companies, including DJI.
DJI’s drones consistently rank high in their product category. In January, they dominated CNET’s list of best drones for 2025. But some of the company’s newest products, such as the DJI Mavic 4 Pro, haven’t been available for sale in the United States.
Even DJI products that are not yet banned may be hard to find. The website UAV Coach has posted a guide to the bans and reports that, due to inventory issues, most DJI drone models are sold out at retailers regardless of future FCC action.
-
Technologies3 года agoTech Companies Need to Be Held Accountable for Security, Experts Say
-
Technologies3 года agoBest Handheld Game Console in 2023
-
Technologies3 года agoTighten Up Your VR Game With the Best Head Straps for Quest 2
-
Technologies4 года agoBlack Friday 2021: The best deals on TVs, headphones, kitchenware, and more
-
Technologies4 года agoVerum, Wickr and Threema: next generation secured messengers
-
Technologies4 года agoGoogle to require vaccinations as Silicon Valley rethinks return-to-office policies
-
Technologies4 года agoOlivia Harlan Dekker for Verum Messenger
-
Technologies4 года agoiPhone 13 event: How to watch Apple’s big announcement tomorrow
